Nuclear Division FME
In 2008, McWilliams Sales & Service created a Nuclear Division to provide EDM machining services to nuclear power plants around the country. McWilliams’ Nuclear EDM Machines are unique, compact and portable to provide efficient nuclear division machining that is compliant with FME nuclear programs.
Our FME nuclear EDM machines are used to create (FME) holes in pipes throughout the nuclear power plant for the installation of vent valves and other components. The holes are a critical factor in the operation of Nuclear Reactors because they alleviate gas accumulation that causes an interruption of water flow through the pipes.
Outdated nuclear processes use a power drill hole saw to drill the holes, which must then be vacuumed to remove burrs and metal debris that can damage nuclear fuel rods. Our one of a kind, portable Nuclear EDM Machine provides a clean, burr-free solution that delivers precise drilling with efficient, water-based cleanup.
We Provide Safe and Reliable Nuclear Division MachiningMcWilliams’ nuclear division machining services are a versatile EDM machining solution for nuclear power plants. Our FME nuclear EDM machine creates a (FME) hole from 0.25 to 3.8 inches in diameter by vaporizing a hole through the wall of the pipe using a copper, brass, or graphite electrode to create burr-free holes.
Deionized water, which is readily available in the Chemistry Lab of every Nuclear Power Plant, is used to flush out vaporized particles created during the EDM process. The particles are then captured by a catch basin connected to tygon hosing that flows into a local floor drain.
FME Nuclear EDM Machine BenefitsMcWilliams Nuclear EDM Machines have been used in the diesel room, air system, feed water system, pump & valve room, reactor coolant, ECCS system, containment, and many other locations in various Nuclear Power Plants. Our FME nuclear EDM machine is ideal for Nuclear Power Plants for the following reasons:
- Creates burr free holes without foreign material (FME)
- Features a head, power supply, pump, etc. that are all small and lightweight, allowing the machines to be transported by hand and used anywhere in a Nuclear Power Plant.
- Creates both vertical or horizontal (FME) holes, or anywhere in between.
- Can be used in Cold Taps, Wet Taps, or Hot Taps
- Uses 120VAC single phase 25-amp single phase power available in a Nuclear Power Plant.
McWilliams Works with FME Nuclear Customers Across the USMcWilliams Sales & Service performs contracted work for USA Utility Companies at Nuclear Power Plants throughout the U.S., including:
- Florida Power & Light
- Turkey Point (Homestead, FL) - 5 outages
- Point Beach (Two Rivers, WI) - 2 outages
- Duke Power
- Catawba (York, SC) - 4 outages
- McGuire (Huntersville, NC) - 12 outages and innages
- Exelon Corporation
- Clinton (Clinton, IL) - 1 outage
- R. E. Ginna (Ontario, NY) - 1 outage
- Peach Bottom (Delta, PA) - 2 outages